What you’ll need:
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 or 3 cloves
- 3 to 5 whole cardamon pods
- 5 pieces fresh ginger
- 2 (1 inch) strips fresh orange peel
- 2 (1 inch) strips fresh lemon peel
- 5 cups cold water
- 4 tbsp black loose tea leaves or 4 bags black tea (note: orange pekoe works best)
- 3 cups apple cider **
- 1 orange, juiced
** Apple cider
- 10 apples, sliced
- ¾ cups white sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp allspice
How to make the cider
- Place apples in large stockpot and add enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Stir in sugar, cinnamon, and allspice. Bring to a boil.
- Boil, uncovered, for 1 hour. Cover pot, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
- Strain apple mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
- Discard solids. Drain cider again through a cheesecloth lined sieve.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Now for the tea:
- Crush the cinnamon, peppercorns, cloves and cardamom pods in a mortar and pestle or on cutting board with the back of a spoon or a knife.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan, combine the ginger and citrus peels.
- Add water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer partially covered until the cinnamon stick opens a bit – about 10 minutes
- Add the loose tea leaves or tea bags, immediately remove from heat, steep for 3-5 minutes
- Drain tea through a fine mesh sieve or remove tea bags
- Add cider and juice of 1 orange
- Return the pan to medium heat and warm, take care not to let the tea boil
- Enjoy while it’s hot 🙂